Sunday 23 March 2008

The Forbidden Lord by Sabrina Jeffries

I thought this novel was tedious, trivial and twee. Which probably says more about me than it does about a story which so many other readers seem to like.

I can hardly remember anything about it. Other than that supposedly virtuous Emily scams her way around London like any hardened grifter and puts it out for a rich Lord with nary a thought for the consequences. I remember being unimpressed by Emily from the very beginning when she is described as bringing a 'physic' to her friend Sophie. I suppose in modern times she would be called Sophie's supplier. And oh. She might have left enough of her stash around to enable her mother to top herself. Charming.

The purpose of the whole stupid scam was to find out who Sophie's admirer was. It turned out to be Lawrence, Emily's prissy cousin. Too many scenes with men gossiping and standing off to each other like silly schoolboys. I also didn't like the co-instigator of the deception, Ophelia, the gaudily dressed matron. In effect she was Emily's other jailor but then seemed to transform into Emily's Dear Aunt. And Emily actually liked her.

There was never any doubt about the ending after page 2.

Highly unemotional and uninvolving for me. (I might read Pirate Lord though)

No comments: